UI Management Orders Fresh Relocation of IT and TP Students Over Scheduled Fumigation


 Joy Olu-Ajayi 

On the 19th of February 2026, the management of the University of Ibadan, sent out a notice to IT and TP students in Queen Elizabeth II Hall, directing them to vacate the hostel before 4 p.m. The reason given was that fumigation is scheduled to take place at Queen Elizabeth II Hall on Friday, 20th of February, by 8 a.m. 

Earlier this week, students had already been instructed through a memorandum issued by the Deans of Students, to leave their previous halls; the male students were moved to Kenneth Mellanby Hall, while the female students were moved to Queens Hall. 

In an online interview with an affected student, she said the message was sent to their group chat around 7 a.m. this morning and went further to state her frustration. “I literally moved out of my hall; Queen Idia Hall to Queens Hall just yesterday and now, we are told to move back before 4 p.m. today. When I say “move", it includes the emotional and physical stress, as well as the transportation costs. Things should be done better please.”

In another interview with an occupant of Queen Idia Hall, she expressed her deep frustration. "My initial thought was that we'd move from Idia to Queens and then, Idia hall will be fumigated; however, I am just being informed that Idia hasn't even been fumigated. I can say that my stay in Queens hasn't been good enough; the rooms are small, everywhere is messy, the toilets aren't good, there are bedbugs and there's no privacy. Packing was really very stressful, we were told to pack out of Queens on Monday latest by 4pm and we started packing out and all of a sudden, we were told we couldn't be accommodated in Queens and we had to move back to Idia to stay overnight. The next day, we had to move to Queens and we were met with registration stress and stringent rules. Meanwhile, I had only stayed in Queens for two nights when I saw the message that we are expected to relocate again to Queen Idia Hall. I was initially preparing to go to work and I just had to cancel going to work today. Now, talking about the cost of transportation, moving my bed alone with a few things of mine cost 1,200 naira and that's the cheapest because there are some people that are literally moving all their things and they'll be charged 3,000 naira to 4,000 naira and this packing has been done several times. The relocation has been really stressful and we're not happy about it.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anuoluwa Adewole Emerges as Best Graduating Student of the Department of English, Faculty of Arts, University of Ibadan (Female Category)

DR. AYODELE A. OSISANWO BECOMES FULL PROFESSOR AT THE DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH

NASELS Press Holds Picnic and Handover Ceremony, Unveils New Editorial Board